Whether in managing a project, taking care of daily business, or in our personal lives, understanding the importance of strategic planning is key to the development of the enterprise and the growth of the individual.
Sometimes it is easy to take for granted the need to do some sort of planning and to set out goals, because we are all busy and it can be easier to get caught up there, rather than have to answer those tough questions and to make some decisions.
Developing a strategic plan takes discipline, commitment, and understanding because even when you think you are prepared, you are bound to face some obstacles. For an organization planning and executing a strategic plan is one of the most fundamental strategies an enterprise can undertake. It will shine a light on the organizations abilities to manage its current situation and future potential for a sustainable growth.
Often companies can and do fail to implement their strategic plan for many reasons including; having a vague or undefined plan, lack of measurements, goals that do not align and poor commitment by the team. There are management tools that can be put in place to help reduce the likelihood of failure.
Here are a few tips you can use to have a successful implementation of your strategic plan and create organization wide buy-in:
- Have a plan. It may not be the best plan, but having a destination is important, even if the road you use to get there is a little vague. If you have no idea where you are going, you really could end up anywhere.
- Set realistic goals and allocate resources. Strategic plans need to be focused and include realistic, achievable, measurable and clear goals and objectives. Your goals must align with the direction of the company. Resources need to be allocated to the goals and objectives to fulfill and accomplish the tasks at hand.
- Simplify your plans. It is easy to make things complex and overly detailed then they really do not need to be. A simple plan is easier it is to communication, to gain buy in and to measure your progress to it.
- Engage the right people. When you are choose your team look beyond your executive team and across your organization for employees that have influence in your organization. Its imperative that those involved in the implementation process understand their roles and responsibility from the start. Moreover, all parties involved should understand the consequences of the company delivering on the strategy.
- Build commitment. Business owners, management teams, and employees need to understand the importance of strategic planning and the benefits for the company and its employees. Without building that commitment, executing the plan will be much more difficult. Organization wide buy-in is important in the implementation process.
Finally, strategic planning needs to be fun. After all, it is the chance to dream about where you want to go. It is the chance to tap into your creative juices and to build relationships with your team. Take the time to build your strategic plan and you will be amazed at how much further you can go.