Confession time…sometimes, I find it really hard to hand over the reigns, to the people around me, on the things that are important to me or that I think are important to me. Call it over controlling, protective, stuck in my ways…trust me I know it and it isn’t anything that I haven’t said to myself.
In the last couple of weeks, I have done some thinking on this one, so I thought I would share with you some of the things I have discovered about me and in doing so, maybe you will find some insight into you:
- It is difficult to let go of things, which took a long time to master. It seems that if something was a challenge for me to learn or to figure out, I just assume that it will be difficult for someone else. It really has nothing to do with whether I think they are smart or capable, it has to do with me believing they will run into the same challenges I did.
- It is difficult to let go of things, if you don’t know what else you should be doing instead. Sometimes there is comfort in doing the same old thing. When you get into a routine, you don’t have to think too much and sometimes, doing what you have always done, ensures that you can feel successful and accomplished.
- It is difficult to let go of things, when you don’t make the time to teach someone else. When I am really full, it is easier to delegate and hand off things, except generally the instructions are pretty bad. My mind will be on many things and as a result, the instructions will be spotty or incomplete, meaning the receiver is set up for failure from the get go.
- It is difficult to let go of things, when I rely on my own “gut feel”. Sometimes to do something, it requires me to do a little trial and error. It could be that there is a variable in the process, or something that over time I just have just come to have a “gut feel” on. How do you explain something, when you don’t even know, how you know?
- It is difficult to let go of things, which you believe have made you successful. There are things I know I am good at and the idea of giving these up can be a little scary. On the other hand, there are times when I wish I wasn’t good at them because then I wouldn’t be looked on to do them, however it is still always nice to be needed.
When it comes to growing a business or to be able to take on new opportunities, you have to be able to let go of the things you are currently doing, or you will continue to remain exactly where you are. It can be kind of scary to be uncertain of your own capabilities and to have to face the questions that come with not knowing, however to lead an organization, a family or any group of people, it requires you to do exactly that.
For me, in recognizing the challenges in letting go, it has allowed me to build some new strategies to be able to let go. We are all a work in progress, so I encourage you to let go…you will be amazed at how capable the people around you, truly are…it really is neat!